Drug & Alcohol Free Workforce
Employee Drug and Alcohol Testing
An alcohol and drug free workplace is essential to the health, safety and wellbeing of employees and it is critical that employers do whatever is practicable to achieve workplace safety under the WHS Act. LabourHealth are industry experts having more than 18 years experience providing pre-employment screening and on site / off site urine and saliva drug testing. We provide compliant, professional and highly accurate testing across all industries.
Registered Nurses / Screeners
All LabourHealth branches have registered Nurses responsible for the majority of our screening services, all Nurses are accredited to conduct screening in accordance with AS/NZS4308-2008 & AS4760-2006 and all have a great wealth of experience, many having been with us since 2011.
All LabourHealth branches have at least two other fully accredited and experienced drug screeners available should time of day, situation or venue make it necessary to use suitably qualified screeners other than the Nurses. Combined this realises over 30 directly employed and managed screeners available across Australia and New Zealand.
National Substance Screening, Experience Since 1998
Currently we conduct approximately 8,000 drug screenings per annum across Australia and New Zealand, given such a volume we rightfully understand the significant intrusion Alcohol and illicit drugs can have upon workplaces and workers lives and can help your business and your workers through providing training, education and full drug and alcohol management programs.
Professional Management Reporting
We complete detailed reports for every site visited and every screening conducted. All reports, all data records and all communications follow and comply with Australian privacy regulations as well as the requirements of AS/NZS4308-2008 & AS4760-2006.
National Pathology Network
We hold accounts with several national NATA accredited Pathology Laboratories for confirmatory testing of non-negative samples. Chain of custody is applied to ensure compliance with stringent Australian standards and we look after all relative activity, administration and costs.
Screening can be undertaken for many reasons and due to various situations but it is often realised that a random screening program will act as an effective deterrent and a preventative measure against drugs and alcohol being present in the workplace. Workers will generally respect and accept that a company is looking after the welfare of their employees through employing a D&A program and thus be inclined to look after their workmates as well as protect their own livelihoods through abstinence.
Commonly Accepted and Permitted Reasons for Testing
Pre-Employment, Post-incident, For cause, Random, Blanket, Returning to work after long absence, Retesting after a prior non-negative, Witnessed event, Reasonable suspicion or Reasonable belief.
Urine & Oral Swab Methods
LabourHealth currently use both urine and saliva drug screening dependent upon customer wishes and customer policy, both methods have inherent positives and negatives and we provide the following for your information when deciding on your policy.
- Donor history of use is longer
- Not affected by recent eating / drinking
- Confirmatory sample from original sample
- Short results timeframes
- Test kit failure rate almost immeasurable
- Numerous adulteration checks
- Considered by some to be a more Invasive method
- Testing environment & conditions requirements
- Supervision required of donor and sampling area during process
- Waste matter more extensive
- Donor history of use is shorter
- Less invasive
- Able to test in any setting
- Surety of donor providing own sample
- Donor history of use is shorter
- Requires a 10 minute timeframe without eating, drinking, smoking, chewing gum etc before being able to provide sample
- NATA rejecting all screening / sampling accreditations
- Laboratories unable to confirm Benzodiazepines
- No adulteration checks on test kits
- Can be a long process for donor to saturate foam
- Longer results timeframes – approx. 2 to 10 minutes.
- Confirmatory sample requires additional sample taking